Willingdon beach is located in the heart of town. A sandy stretch of beach with a children's water park, playground, volleyball, Popeye theme characters campsite / picnic area, restrooms fishing pier and an ice cream and take out restaurant. The Historic Willingdon Beach Nature trail trail which is1.2 miles long starts at the edge of the beach by the campsite area. Take a scenic walk through the lush forest trail and enjoy the outdoor museum. Walkers pass by permanent displays of old forestry equipment and are kept informed by small signs posted along the way. The trail is bike and wheelchair accessible.
Visit the Powell River Forestry Museum located at the South end of Willingdon Beach. The museum is open in the afternoon's from late June to Labour day. Admission is by donation. Powell River Historical Museum and Archives is located on Marine Avenue across the street from the Forestry Museum. Across the street is Putters mini golf and the entrance to the U-nay-mit trail leading to Mcfall creek trail, Kingfisher trail, Triple Bypass Junction and ending at the Recreation Complex. The return hike should take you about 1 hour. The Recreation complex has an indoor swimming pool & work out area, theatres ice rinks and a skate board area.
Powell River is a Natural beauty with an abundance of lakes and hiking trails tucked away in the forest. The Mud Lake loop trails behind Duck Lake includes Blackwater Creek Trail, Sweet Water Creek trail & Suicide Creek trail. The prettiest trail is the Lang Creek trail. The trail is about five kilometres and takes a few hours to complete. The trail is highlighted by waterfalls and leads to the Lang Creek salmon hatchery on highway 101. Hike the Sunshine Coast Trail. This trail provides 180 km of hiking that can be done in 5 smaller sections.
The Inland Lake trail is a 13 kilometre hike around the entire lake and is fully bike and wheel chair accessible. Inland Lake is open for camping, biking & canoing from mid April to mid October. This trout filled lake has a fishing pier, small boat dock, wooden bridges, picnic tables and outhouse facilities.
Mowet bay located on Powell lake, is a favourite local fresh water swimming area. Sandy beach and restroom.
Haywire bay also located on Powell lake, has a campsite, picnic area, sandy beach, hiking trails and outhouse facilities.
Donkersley beach - best sandy beach at low tide. No facilities
Palm beach - sandy beach at low tide, picnic area with changing room and restrooms. The Sunshine Music Festival is held here annually on the Labor Day weekend.
Saltrey Bay provincial park - campsite, a divers paradise. Dive on the Emerald Princess, a 3 meter bronze mermaid resting 18 meters below. Sea lions and seals are often seen here. Take a picnic lunch and spend the day.
Eagle river is located 20 minutes south of town. The tumbling river plunges down sheer rocks. A beautiful location with waterfalls and clear cold pools. This swimming area is not recommended for children.
Spend some time on a guided horse ride with horses of Tanglewood. Rides are tailored to your interest and ability Year round riding. Email Phoebe at HorsesofTanglewood@shaw.ca
Points of Interest:
- Westview View point known as the center stage for viewing spectacular ever changing sunsets. The Sea walk, located below highway 101 viewpoint, stretches for 1.3 km starting from the barge terminal. There are benches to sit and rest and enjoy the beautiful sunsets.
- Townsite View point overlooks the Powell River Catalyst paper mill and the cement ships, known as the hulks, form the breakwater.
- Patricia Theatre Visit the the oldest continuously operating theatre in Canada since 1928. Movies are only $5.50 every Monday.
- Valentine Mountain located in Cranberry, provides a vista of Powell Lake, Powell River and the straight of Georgia. The 260 meter summit, a 20 minute hike for the average person, is accessible by 90 steps cut into the side of the mountain. Picnic tables are located at the summit so bring a lunch and enjoy the views of the mountains and inlets below.
- Take a walking tour of Historic Townsite.
- Dinner Rock View dramatic rock formations. Vehicle access can be challenging and is not recommended for low riding vehicles.
- Okeover Arm Provincial Park is a 40 minute drive north of Powell River. Beach shoes are recommended for searching for oysters. Kayaking and canoing galore.
- Lund, a 45 minute drive north, is the beginning / end of highway 101. Walk the boardwalk, visit the shops or take a day cruise to Desolation Sound. Recommend stop at Nancy' Bakery. Board a water taxi (15 minutes) to Savary Island.
- Myrtle Point Golf Club our local 18 hole golf course designed by Les Furber caters to both recreational and professional golfers.
- Powell River Events
- Community Calendar - Information & Entertainment Schedule
- Festival of Performing Arts - March
- Lund Shell Fish Festival - May
- Powell River Blues Festival - June
- Prisma June 13 -26
- Kathaumiixw International choral festival with choirs from all over the world competing. 2020
- Texada Sand Castle Days - July
- Logger sports - July
- Blackberry Festival - street party Aug
- Sunshine Music Festival - Palm Beach Aug. 31 - Sept 1
- Fall Fair - Fair grounds - Sept
- Open Air Market The open air market runs from May till the first week of October every Saturday 10:30 - 12:30 and Sundays from 12:30 - 2:30. Music, food local produce, crafts, pony rides and more.
- Marine Ave Restaurants
- Tidal Zone - Thai
- Snickers pizza - lunch buffet Mon- Fri 11:30 - 2 PM, pizza, 2 for 1 pasta and Greek food
- Coastal Cookery - www.coastalcookery.com
- Costa del Sol - www.costadelsollatincuisine.com Latin cusine
- Base Camp
- Ayu Sushi
- Little Curry hut - Ethnic north Indian food
- Rocky Mountain Pizza and Bakery
- Jay's Place - cafe
- Joyce Ave Restaurants
- Iguanas Mexican Grill 7053 Glacier Street
- Gourmet Canton - Chinese
- Haylstones Pizza & Bakery
- Minato Sushi - Japanese cuisine
- Dragon House - Chinese Buffet
- Garden Court and T.C. pub at Town Center hotel
- Subway, A&W, McDonalds
- Starbucks, River City Coffee, Tim Hortons
- Vietnam Cusine (Alberni St.) - Vietnamese and Thai Closed Sunday
- Moose n Eddies (Town Center Mall) - Pub fare
- Julie's Airport market/ cafe breakfast and lunch - Duncan Street
- Paparazzi Pizza - Franklin Ave
- South of Town Restaurants
- Savoury Bite - pub fare
- Skeeter Jack's - fish and chips, steak& pizza takeout
- Orca Grill (Myrtle Point Golf course)
- Townsite Restaurants
- Granada - family style - salad bar, pizza, Italian, Greek salad
- Royal Zayka Restaurant - East Indian Menu Buffet royalzayka.com
- Magpie's Diner - good homemade food
- Townsite Brewing - award winning craft brewery
- Shingle Mill Pub and Bistro - Lakefront lunch & dinner - pub fare -Large Menu
- Red Lion Pub (Wildwood)
- Lund / Okeover Restaurants
- Laughing Oyster - west coast cuisine Wed night Steak & Seafood buffet $25. Reservations recommended. www.laughingoyster.ca
- Boardwalk restaurant - seafood, varied menu waterfront - closed Mon & Tue
- Lund Restaurant and Pub - lunch & dinner pub fare
- Nancy's bakery - lunch and delicious baking